X-Ray Goggles (ca. 1930)
These leather goggles were found in a physician's office that
closed sometime around 1980. They were probably used during fluoroscopy
procedures where the physician would spend long periods of time in the
dark looking at a fluorescent screen. An XRF analysis indicates that the
glass contains lead which would provide some limited degree of protection
from the x-rays.
One pair employs amber colored glass. The glass in the other pair is dark green. The likely explanation is that the different colors were used to improve the visualization of the shadow images on the glowing fluorescent screen (greenish in color).
A William Meyer Company X-Ray Accessories catalog (the accompanying price list was dated 1920) describes something fairly similar: "plain glass spectacles of dark green glass, with soft leather guards, for operator in fluoroscopic room." The price was $2.75.
Nancy Knight. Personal communication.
Copyright 1999, Oak Ridge Associated Universities