Skip Navigation

ORAU History - 1951

In 1951, the Oak Ridge Institute of Nuclear Studies (ORINS) assumed responsibility for the national administration of the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC)-sponsored predoctoral and postdoctoral fellowship programs. There were 326 predoctoral fellows and 41 postdoctoral fellows appointed by the Fellowship Board. In recent years, the organization has placed more than 5,000 students and faculty members annually into specialized education programs.

Advanced medical courses in radioisotopes were conducted by the Special Training Division (now known as Radiation Sciences Training) in 1951. The Radioisotope Techniques course began its fourth year with 640 participants having attended the course. The participants were representatives from 400 hospitals, industries, medical schools, universities and colleges, military establishments, and other research organizations. Today, these types of courses are offered through the Radiation Emergency Assistance Center/Training Site, which specializes in the training of physicans, nurses, and other emergency personnel in the medical management of radiation accidents.

The Museum Division was established in 1951 to conduct a national exhibits program and to operate the American Museum of Atomic Energy, later renamed the American Museum of Science and Energy. The museum’s attendance increased 67 percent to 70,000 visitors.

Reports on the American Museum of Atomic Energy (later renamed the American Museum of Science and Energy) appeared in holiday and travel sections of many metro newspapers. The museum became an important link between ORINS and the region.

A major activity in 1951 was the provision of traveling exhibits for expositions, educational meetings, and other gatherings. The traveling atomic energy exhibit was shown under the auspices of ORINS and the National University Extension Association.