Skip Navigation

ORAU History - 1953

In May 1953, the American Museum of Atomic Energy (later renamed the American Museum of Science and Energy) was host to the annual National Science Fair with nationwide student participation. The Science Clubs of America produced the fair to encourage students to go into science careers; 71 finalists attended the fair. On July 1, 1954, the Museum Division instituted its science fair program, which resulted in the initiation of more than 2,000 new science fairs in the South.

The Research Participation Program had grown to involve 297 participants by 1953. Today, this kind of programs is now administered by our Science Education and Workforce Development Programs.

The Oak Ridge Institute of Nuclear Studies (ORINS) began administration of the Atomic Energy Commission’s industrial hygiene fellowship program. Seven fellows were appointed for the 1953-54 school year.

This kilocurie cesium-137 teletherapy unit was also a result of the Teletherapy Evaluation Program. With this device, doctors could irradiate a specific area of diseased tissue with less harm to the surrounding healthy tissue.