Skip Navigation

ORAU History - 1954

Extensive remodeling and enlargement of the Special Training Division (now known as Radiation Sciences Training) facilities during 1954 resulted in such features as high- and low-level preparation laboratories, new chemistry and physics laboratories, and enlarged counting and lecture rooms.

The first Oak Ridge Regional Symposium was initiated in 1954 to expand the scientific influence on Oak Ridge into still another area, that of secondary school and college undergraduate students. Today, these kinds of programs are now administered by our Science Education and Workforce Development Programs.

The Medical Division undertook a thyroid-uptake calibration program in the 1950s, sending half body mannequins to scientists worldwide with instructions on various methods for measuring the uptake of iodine by the thyroid. The Medical Division compiled the results and established a standard system of calibration.