Skip Navigation

ORAU History - 1959

In 1959, the University Relations Division (now known as the University Partnerships Office) initiated a summer student trainee program; a science teacher training program; and an Atomic Energy Commission special fellowship program for advanced training in health physics.

The Special Training Division (now known as Radiation Sciences Training) held its first courses on the use of radioisotopes in industry, and the Medical Division’s research efforts focused in three areas: total body irradiation, scanning, and rare earth sciences.

The newly built Oak Ridge Institute for Nuclear Studies (ORINS) Central Administration Building was dedicated. The building cost $245,000 to construct, $51,000 of which came from outside grants.

ORINS Executive Director William Pollard dismissed the traditional shovel in favor of more traditional equipment for the 1959 groundbreaking on ORINS’ Central Administration Building.