Skip Navigation

ORAU History - 1961

For the first time since it was opened in 1949, the American Museum of Atomic Energy was visited by more than 100,000 people in a single year. The same year, more than nine million people visited traveling exhibits presented in 49 states.

In 1961, a colony of South American marmosets was established at the Oak Ridge Institute of Nuclear Studies (ORINS) to study the immune aspects of bone marrow transplantation.

An ORINS employee feeds an adult tamarin used in the immunology program's studies on the immune aspects of bone marrow transplantation, first begun in the early 1960s.