Skip Navigation

Gould Andrews

Dr. Gould Andrews, Medical Division director 1962-1975

Dr. Gould Andrews, a widely respected hematologist and internist, joined the Medical Division of the Oak Ridge Institute of Nuclear Studies (ORINS), now Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU), in July 1949. He was named division director in 1962 and remained in that position until 1975.

He led the division to many achievements, including an exhaustive study of patients and accident victims receiving whole-body irradiation for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) beginning in 1964. The division initiated a cytogenetics program in 1965 and began construction on the Low Exposure Total Body Irradiator (LETBI) in 1966. Under Andrews’ leadership, the division’s growing research needs prompted a move into a 13,000-square-foot building in 1967, and an electron microscopy program was initiated in 1968.

Andrews was known for his hope and concern for his patients. He often spoke to church congregations about medical ethics, doctor-patient relationships, and other emotional aspects of research medicine, a subject he felt passionately about. “Attacks on medical research are wrong,” he once told a reporter. “Many more lives have been lost because medicine was not available than because it was.”

Andrews was a native of Grand Rapids, Mich., where he was born in 1918. He attended Grand Rapids Junior College and the University of Michigan, where he received both his A.B. and M.D. degrees. Following his graduation, Andrews did postgraduate training at the University Hospital in Ann Arbor and at the Simpson Memorial Institute for the Study of Blood Disease. Prior to joining the Medical Division, he was the Director of Cancer Teaching at the Stritch Medical College at Loyola University, Chicago.

He and his wife, Eva, had one daughter, Ellen.