Welcome to the Joint Science and Technology Institute (JSTI)
The 2015 dates have been announced. The JSTI will be held July 18 - July 31, 2015 in Edgewood, MD, and at research facilities around the area.
The Joint Science and Technology Institute for Students is a two-week, all expenses paid, residential program for current high school students in the United States. Students will participate in research projects mentored by Department of Defense research scientists. The purpose of the program is to expose students to scientific research through hands-on projects, to enable students to work with real-world scientists, and to increase studentsí awareness of career opportunities in related fields.
The Joint Science and Technology Institute for Teachers is a two-week, residential program for current high school STEM teachers. JSTI provides teachers with world–class laboratory research experiences with research scientists. Teachers will learn to integrate research experiences into their classroom, experience the interdisciplinary nature of research, and increase the teachers’ awareness of career opportunities in related fields.
Here, you can access daily news, learn something about the participants in this summer’s program, review information about the projects and find pictures of participants “in action.”
Information will be updated frequently, so check back soon for more!
Eligibility for students:
- Student must be 16 by July 17, 2015
- Student must be a U.S. citizen
- Student must be a high school student in the 2015-2016 school year
- Student must have a teacher recommendation
- Student must be willing to work cooperatively in a group and follow instructions
Eligibility for teachers:
- Current high school teacher of science or math
- Plan to continue as a classroom teacher of science or math during the 2015-2016 academic year
- U.S. Citizen
- Available to participate in all program activities from July 18 – July 31, 2015
The application deadline for JSTI is March 15, 2015.
- Student Application for the 2015 Joint Science and Technology Institute
- Teacher Application for the 2015 Joint Science and Technology Institute
Frequently Asked Questions
See our list of frequently asked questions for answers to the most commonly asked questions from JSTI applicants.
For the 2015 Institute, 6 teachers and 40 students will be selected.
Here you can read about the different projects that the teachers and students worked on in prior years.
In addition to the research projects, tours and other activities are included in the JSTI. Check these out!