Higher Education Research Experience (HERE) – Recent Associate’s and Bachelor’s
Higher Education Research Experiences at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (HERE at ORNL) provides research opportunities and associated activities for recent Associate’s and Bachelor’s degree graduates. The program is designed to complement academic programs by utilizing the unique resources of ORNL to enhance science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education, encourage careers in science and technology, and improve scientific literacy, while at the same time contributing to the Laboratory mission.
- Applications are accepted on a year-round basis; refer to suggested deadlines for appointment periods
- Flexible appointment duration up to a maximum of one year
- Full-time or part-time research or technical appointments may be offered
- Recent Associate’s - $500/week stipend
- Recent Bachelor’s - $550/week stipend
- $150 housing allowance and limited travel reimbursement, if permanent address is at least 50 miles from ORNL. Learn more about Housing for ORNL Research Participants.
- Hold an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree received within the last year - verification required
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale - copy of academic record required
- Be 18 years or older by the start of appointment
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident at the time of application - verification required
- Have medical insurance during appointment - verification required
- Have two references - one academic preferred
- Complete program requirements, and avoid activities that could present a conflict
- Attend enrichment activities, including professional development workshops, Laboratory tours, lectures, seminars, and poster presentations. Please note that these activities are optional and dependent upon mentor approval
- Behave in a responsible and professional manner
- Complete pre- and post-appointment surveys
|HERE Internship Term||Spring||Summer||Fall|
|Suggested Deadline*||October 1||February 1||June 1|
*Applications are accepted and selections are made year-round. Follow the suggested deadline dates for greater chance of selection.
If you are ready, you can apply to the HERE at ORNL - Recent Associate’s and Recent Bachelor’s now.