Department of Energy Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI)
Oak Ridge National Laboratory participates in the Department of Energy Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship (SULI). The program is sponsored and managed by the DOE Office of Science’s Office of Workforce Development for Teachers and Scientists (WDTS) in collaboration with the DOE National Laboratories. The program encourages undergraduates to pursue STEM careers by providing research experiences at a DOE laboratory.
- Applications are solicited annually for three separate internship terms. Fall/Spring terms are 16-weeks in duration, while the Summer term is 10-weeks in duration.
- Selected students engage in research projects related to DOE’s ongoing research and development programs under the guidance of Laboratory staff scientists or engineers.
- $500/week stipend
- $150 housing allowance and limited travel reimbursement, if permanent address is at least 50 miles from host Laboratory. Learn more about Housing for ORNL Research Participants.
- Current full-time undergraduate student at an accredited institution
- Completed at least one year of college at the time of application
- Undergraduate cumulative minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Be 18 years or older prior to the start of the internship
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident at the time of application
- Limited to no more than two internships
- Have medical insurance during their time at the Laboratory
- Complete full program, 40 hours per week and avoid activities that could present a conflict
- Attend all scheduled events including seminars, tours and group activities
- Create an abstract, poster presentation and submit a project report and peer review
- Complete pre- and post-appointment surveys
- Behave in a responsible and professional manner
|SULI Internship Term:||Spring 2017||Summer 2017|
|On-line application opens||July 18, 2016||Oct. 17, 2016|
|Applications due||Oct. 7, 2016
5:00 PM ET
|Jan. 13, 2017
5:00 PM ET
|Offer notification period begins on or around||Oct. 14, 2016||Jan. 23, 2017|
|All DOE offers and notifications complete||Dec. 23, 2016||March 31, 2017|
SULI Program Life Cycle
The Beginning of Your Appointment
- Mentor Meet-up
During Your Appointment
- Your Research Project
- Weekly Seminars
- Lunch and Learn Opportunities
- Extracurricular Activities
The End of Your Appointment
- Poster Presentation
- Peer Review
- Project Report
- Last Day
If you are ready, you can Apply for the DOE Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internship now.