Victor X-Ray Corporation 30 MA Radiator Tube (ca. 1920 - 1926)

The photo below shows an early Coolidge Radiator tube produced by Victor X-ray Corporation of Chicago. In 1926, when General Electric (GE) became the company's majority stock-holder, GE phased out the use of the Victor name. Since the etched logo on the tube indicates that it was manufactured by Victor, it probably dates from 1920 to 1926.

That it has seen some use is indicated by the bulb's purple color and the damaged target.

 

The anode is the long copper rod surrounded by the glass arm extending from the right side of the bulb. At the left end of the anode, in the center of the bulb, is the copper heat sink for the tungsten target. The latter, barely visible, is embedded in the sloped face of the copper block. The right end of the anode is in thermal contact with a finned radiator that assists in heat dissipation.

Inside the bulb, just to the left of the target, is the focusing cup for the anode.

Etched of the glass bulb is the rated current: 30 MA. To be more specific, this is the maximum recommended current at the voltage indicated by a 5 inch spark gap. At least for short periods, any combination of current and voltage could be used where the product of the current and spark gap was 150, e.g., 20 MA and 7.5 inches.

More information can be found in the description of a similar, but later version of this tube, that was produced by GE.

Size: ca. 14 1/2" long (excluding rod for radiator fins), 3 3/4" bulb diameter

Kindly donated by children of Frederick G Ouellette, Sr., with special thanks to Jeanne and Tom.

Coolidge Type X-Ray Tubes               Museum Directory

Last updated: 06/24/09
Copyright 1999, Oak Ridge Associated Universities