HERE at ORNL - College Entering Freshman
Higher Education Research Experiences at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (HERE at ORNL) provides research opportunities and associated activities for entering freshmen, between high school and college. The program is designed to complement academic programs by utilizing the unique resources of ORNL to enhance science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education, encourage careers in science and technology, and improve scientific literacy, while at the same time contributing to the Laboratory mission.
- Applications are accepted for summer term only - most selections will be made by February 1
- Appointments are limited to summer after high school graduation and prior to starting college
- Full-time or part-time research or technical appointments may be offered
- $400/week stipend
- $150 housing allowance and limited travel reimbursement, if permanent address is at least 50 miles from ORNL. Learn more about Housing for ORNL Research Participants.
- Have received a high school diploma from a U.S. accredited institution in the 12 months preceding participation - verification required
- Be accepted at an accredited U.S. college or university for the term immediately following participation - verification required
- Have a cumulative minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale - copy of academic record required
- Be 18 years or older by the start of appointment
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident at the time of application - verification required
- Have medical insurance during appointment - verification required
- Have two references - one academic preferred
- Complete program requirements and avoid activities that could present a conflict
- Attend enrichment activities, including professional development workshops, Laboratory tours, lectures, seminars, and poster presentations. Please note that these activities are optional and dependent upon mentor approval
- Behave in a responsible and professional manner
- Complete pre- and post-appointment surveys
|HERE Internship Term||Summer|
|Application Opens||October 2|
|Application Closes||July 1|
|Suggested Deadline*||February 1|
*Application is for summer term only; reapplication is required for following year. Follow the suggested deadline date for greater chance of selection.
If you are ready, you can apply to HERE at ORNL - Entering Freshman now.