Working with Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU) means you have a partner who is committed to your safety, whether you are an employee, a business partner, a local subcontractor or research participant. We operate under the principles and functions of the Integrated Safety Management (ISM) system that calls for analyzing each component of our work activities and placing accountability for safety at every level from front line office workers and maintenance crew all the way to the CEO’s office.
Running a safe operation is not just something that ORAU management strives to do. It’s a foundational part of our culture and every employee is responsible for putting safety first in each part of his or her job. This means systematically defining the scope of all work and its hazards, analyzing the hazards, developing and implementing hazard controls, performing work within controls, and providing feedback for continuous improvement.
ORAU’s commitment to safety requires each individual to make safety first, every job, every time. Each of our employees demonstrates this commitment to promote an uncompromising safety by:
- Maintaining a “safety first” mindset both on- and off-the-job.
- Prioritizing their personal safety and the safety of those around them.
- Challenging anyone—at any level—who is not being safe and accept the same challenge from those individuals.
- Identifying, correcting or reporting any and all unsafe conditions.
- Becoming familiar with and abiding by ORAU safety policies and procedures, including required training.
- Never taking shortcuts at the expense of safety.
- Being totally committed to safety excellence.
While safety has been a part of the fabric of ORAU for many years, our safety culture took a giant leap forward in 2003 when the U.S. Department of Energy recognized ORAU's management of the Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) by awarding ORISE its prestigious Voluntary Protection Program (VPP) Star site designation. ORISE has since become a multiple recipient of the DOE Star of Excellence Award and the Department’s esteemed Legacy of Stars Award.
To learn more about ORAU's commitment to ISM and for more information on VPP, visit the ORISE website.