Apply NowApplications are accepted throughout the year for Postdoctoral Fellows and Senior Fellows. Applications for Short-Term Fellows may be submitted throughout the year, however applicants are encouraged to submit applications by April for consideration for the current year.
U.S. Army Research Laboratory (ARL) Research Associateship Program (RAP) Summer Student Experience is an educational program that allows students and recent graduates to participate in a paid research experience at a Department of Defense laboratory over the summer break.
Scientists and engineers at ARL help shape and execute the Army's program for meeting the challenge of developing technologies that will support Army forces in meeting future operational needs. Students can participant in research in one of the following areas:
- Computational and Information Sciences Directorate (CISD)
- Human Research and Engineering Directorate (HRED)
- Sensors and Electron Devices Directorate (SEDD)
- Vehicle Technology Directorate (VTD)
- Weapons and Materials Research Directorate (WMRD)
FIRST ROUND APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, November 25, 2018
- Non U.S. Citizens are strongly encouraged to apply by the first round deadline to allow as much time as possible for processing.
SECOND ROUND APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, February 17, 2019
Tentative dates of appointment – May 13-August 16.
SUMMER STUDENT EXPERIENCE ELIGIBILITY:
A candidate for the student component must be in good standing (a minimum of a 2.5 GPA) at an accredited university or technical institute, and in an academic program leading to an undergraduate or graduate degree.
Each opportunity description will identify the project’s ability to consider non-U.S. Citizens.
HOW TO APPLY
Complete the online application form and submit it to the Summer Student Experience projects.
Please note, you must use the applicant profile to apply against a Summer Student Experience opportunity, not just create the profile and upload your materials, to be considered.
The following will also be uploaded with the online application:
- Resume - Please list your relevant coursework and lab work on your resume as well as all papers, presentations, or publications you may have authored or co-authored. Include any reprints or abstracts if they are available.
- Transcripts - Transcript verifying receipt of degree/or identifying current enrollment. Original student copies are acceptable.
- Statement of Interest - Write a one-page description of your scientific research experience. Please include references to your lab work as well as any relevant academic coursework. How does this experience intersect with your personal and professional goals?
- References - Reference forms are not required for the Summer Student Experience, but names and contact information for references are part of the online application. During the review process, some Advisor/Selecting Officials may contact references for further evaluation.
If you have any questions about the Summer Student Experience at ARL, please the contact ARL-RAP recruiter, Krystle Wagemann.