US Army Institute of Surgical Research
2017 Summer Program
The US Army Institute of Surgical Research (USAISR) is seeking applications for summer internship
appointments for undergraduate students from accredited colleges and universities to conduct research at the USAISR.
The intent of the undergraduate student internship is to provide an opportunity for students interested in science, engineering or medical career fields to participate in research directed at improving the care of injured military service members and society at large. This mentored research experience will expose interns to ongoing efforts in integrated science, technology and engineering solutions at the nation's premier military trauma research institute. Selected candidates will be compensated $2,750.00 per month, based upon full-time participation.
Prerequisites: All interns must have completed at least their First Year class requirements for a bachelor's degree with an overall GPA of 3.5 of higher (out of a maximum of 4.0; if other scale is used, provide qualitative interpretation and/or equivalency to 4.0 scale). A science or engineering program of study will be considered favorably.
Open period for applications: 15 Nov 2016 to 31 Dec 2016 .
Please list the TOP THREE TASK AREAS by order of preference on your APPLICATION and CV
- For the on-line application, only ONE application is needed for all projects and programs. Additionally, please have the items listed below available for uploading into the on-line application system.
- Resume/CV (Must include the following)
- Professional Goal and objective statement (what do you want to be when you grow up and what are you looking for in this experience?)
- Academic Major (if declared) or track (if undeclared)
- Grade-Point Average (out of 4.0 scale; if other scale is used, provide qualitative interpretation and/or equivalency to 4.0 scale)
- Brief description of prior research laboratory experience(s) including specific laboratory or analytical skills (for example, electrophoresis, cell culture, etc.)
Any relevant publications or other experience
- Transcripts from all schools attended, original student copies are acceptable (students, postgraduates and certificate applicants only)
- Resume/CV (Must include the following)
- An email will be forwarded for persons familiar with your educational and professional qualifications (include your thesis or dissertation adviser, if applicable)/Employers for a reference. PERSONAL REFERENCES ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE
- Please remember to save your username and password to login to your account to make changes/updates to your application, or to apply to future projects.
The complete application and supporting materials will be forwarded to Program Officials for review.
- U.S. Citizenship
- Undergraduate Students who completed the first year requirements or above
- Overall GPA of 3.5+.
- Degree discipline must be in STEM or related.
- Chosen applicants will work closely with a USAISR staff mentor and their research team to conduct a scientific investigation in one of the research focus areas of the USAISR: Hemorrhage Control, Resuscitation, Blood and Coagulation, Burn Injury, Ocular Trauma, Dental Trauma, Pre-hospital Trauma Care, Intensive Care, Pain, Regenerative Medicine and Extremity Trauma. Interns will present the findings of their research projects at a poster session at the end of July
- The internship will be from Wednesday, 24 May to Wednesday, 2 August 2017 with an optional 2-week extension to Wednesday, 16 August 2017. Applicants will be evaluated once their complete packet is submitted. The final deadline for application submission is Monday, January 2, 2017. Only U.S. citizens with a minimum GPA of 3.5 are eligible for this program.
- Those travelling from outside the San Antonio, TX area may be eligible to receive additional travel funds, which will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Transportation and housing will not be provided. All participants must provide their own housing and transportation.
Please contact the ORAU Maryland office at (410) 306-9200 or Recruiter@orau.org with any questions.