One of the main benefits of enrolling in the NSSP is that the medical screening conducted by health professionals may identify health issues before symptoms occur.
It is also important to note that your health information is protected under the provisions of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) of 1996.
There are many benefits to be gained from medical screening. If you enroll in the NSSP, you will receive the following benefits at no cost to you:
- A customized medical screening based on your work history and work site risks.
- Exam results reviewed by one of the country’s best medical centers and experts in occupational health.
- Immediate notification about critical health issues, if found.
- A summary of screening results and educational materials about the health risks identified in the screening.
- Recommendations for physician follow-up.
You will also receive access to the National Jewish Health Health Hazard Information Line for medical questions.
This Health Hazard Information Line provides workers access to information about common health hazards related to work in DOE nuclear weapons facilities. This free service provides callers with the ability to speak to a nurse with knowledge regarding health issues associated with potential hazardous exposures at DOE facilities and the provisions of the NSSP.
You can contact the Health Hazard Information Line by calling toll-free at 1-800-708-8931 or e-mailing the LUNG LINE. Individuals who wish to enroll will be directed to the toll-free NSSP enrollment line at 1-866-812-6703.