ORAU researchers provide just in time research capabilities for projects and proposals of every size.
Sometimes Google just isn’t enough.
Although the Web contains countless terabytes of information, internet search engines are only as good as the searcher’s ability to use them. And sometimes your work and schedule demands don’t allow time for a thorough search of all the information you need.
Before the advent of internet search engines, the library reference desk provided a human touch for research, and librarians helped guide patrons to the right resources and tools to find the information they needed. Although artificial intelligence and search algorithms have made massive leaps in recent years, the human intelligence required to understand where to search, how to search and what tools to use is still of enormous value.
ORAU’s team of researchers and information scientists bring many decades of experience to your research problem, and can conduct research on your behalf that gets to the real need behind the request and compiles the right information from the right sources.
What we do
ORAU’s information scientists perform the following functions:
- Discuss your research requests in depth to understand the information need
- Conduct the research using databases, internet sources, publications and human interviews
- Compile the results in formats that communicate the findings clearly
- Present the information in a format best suited to the requester’s needs
- Expert identification and recruitment
Why choose ORAU?
- Information Science degree holders with decades of experience in using online databases and traditional reference tools
- Access to the latest and best historical data sources
- An understanding of diverse markets and academic disciplines
- Easy-to-manage contracting vehicles allowing quick setup of research projects
Jim Malone, M.S.
Expertise: Science communication and data sharing practices among scientists, information science, communication research
- More than 20 years of library and information science experience
- More than six years of subject matter expert identification and recruitment
- International scientific support as University Librarian (Director), American University of Afghanistan, Kabul and the Weill Cornell Medical Library - Qatar
- Adjunct faculty at Roane State Community College
- Instructor, College of Communication and Information, University of Tennessee-Knoxville
- Co-author: “Data Management in Astrobiology: Challenges and Opportunities for an Interdisciplinary Community” Astrobiology
For information about ORAU’s research services, contact Jim Malone at 865.576.2027 or Jim.Malone@orau.org.