The new Travel Management Information System has arrived!

Chrome River logo

Welcome to Chrome River, ORAU and ORISE’s new Web-based Travel Information Management System.

  • For a look at the system and its capabilities, please visit the Chrome River website.
  • You can learn even more about how to use Chrome River in our Job Aids.

Chrome River FAQs

Q: How do I create a travel request or Expense Report?

A: We refer to a travel request as a PA (for Pre-Authorization) and an expense report is called an ER. Refer to the list of Job Aids.

Q: Upon completing my PA (Pre-Approval), I discovered that my external approver (mentor, coordinator, etc.) is not on the selection list. What do I do?

A: Save your information in Chrome River and contact Travel Central (865-576-6500 or and provide your external approver's name and email address.

Q: My program requires multiple approvers prior to submitting my travel. Chrome River only provides the ability to submit the approval electronically to one external approver. What do I do?

A: At the top right-hand corner of the PA, there is a place to upload images. You can attach an e-mail approval or other documents to your PA.

Request Expense Pre-Approval

Q: The PA only allows me to add two destinations and provide expenses for two lodging locations. What if I have two or more?

A: For the destinations, please add additional destinations information in the “Other Information” section. For the lodging expenses, you may combine estimated costs for multiple lodging locations by noting the information in the provided information box. Sample below:

Lodging Expenses screen cap

Q: How do I request a Cash Advance or Advance Reimbursement?

A: On the PA, see the section displayed below:

Advance Reimbursement screen shot

If you check either or both of these boxes, your Travel Central Specialist will make the requests for you.


Q: How do I cancel my trip?

A: If very soon, contact Travel Central at (865) 576-6500 ASAP. If later in the future, you may email Travel Central.